Thursday, October 30, 2008

When dreams come true

For the past few months, I haven't been able to find one of my class textbooks. Big Deal? BIG DEAL!! It's the main book for my most vital class, and I can't find it :( Several pages from the book have been formatted into pdf files and posted online as sample images to promote the book -- as if taunting me that I can read only one or two pages out of the dozens required for class.

So as I studied one of these pages from the author's website, an excerpt from The Kansas City Star is given to provide an example for integrating quotes and dialogues into profiles. Although short, it's very touching. It makes me want to read the rest of the profile.

Here's the excerpt from a profile on baseball player Tony Pena:

They drove around a beautiful community near Santiago. "Isn’t this nice?" he asked his mother.
"Yes," she said. "It is beautiful."
They then drove through a neighborhood they had driven through before, many times. "I love these homes," Rosalia said.
"I know," Tony said. "I know."
And they pulled up to the nicest home.
"What do you think of this one?" he asked her.
"It is the home of my dreams," she said.
He reached into his pocket, pulled out a key, gave it to her.
"It is yours," he said. They both cried for a long time.
— Joe Posnanski, The Kansas City Star

Tony Pena made his MLB debut at age 24.

I don't know if being able to buy his parents their dream home signified the pinnacle of Pena's life dream, but it's pretty high up there in my mind. I know that when my dreams come true (yes, I have more than one ... in case I don't reach the other eight), they'll come true when my family and friends are blessed through and through from it. What other kind of dream would there be?

No comments:

Post a Comment